Once I'm deeply involved in a piece of work, I don't even notice the sun is shining. Then I look up and feel guilty that I'm wasting it and, as we all know, we can't afford to waste good weather in Ireland.
Certainly not good, warm, sun killing-grass sort of weather.
But then deadlines guilt hits in, even if they are my own deadlines and not being able to tell if I've made any progress - which is often the way when you're in the middle of a project. When you can't see the wood for the squirrels and bison nibbling on the top branches and pooping all over the keyboard.
Vivid imaginations may be more of a distraction than sunshine.
I can write any number of doggerel rhymes about poker-playing flies and and tap-dancing snails when I'm meant to be writing something else that needs to make some sort of sense.
Thought of tying myself to the seat but then decided to make a coffee instead.
Then had to hang washing out to catch the sun. Clothes just smell better when they've been dried outside. Memories of living in Australia flood back so I have another coffee to help me focus. And chocolate. Lots of guilty chocolate.
Then I want to sleep so I sit outside and read the newspaper.
And all the while the guilt builds up.... And up.... And THEN the work gets done. Heaps of it. All in a flurry and anyone who distracts me then has to step into the unfocussed lens of my fictional world to get attention. I could be in the middle of some tumultuous storm and I wouldn't know unless the computer died. (Though I would probably have to turn the light on in my shed).
So, on the whole, sunny days aren't the distraction at all.
- HOME PAGE
- Dad's Red Dress... on Amazon and in its first bookshop
- THEATRE CREDITS
- MY WRITING CREDITS, TO DATE
- PUNKY... International Award Winner!
- WULFIE....the series
- WULFIE ANIMATION Ltd
- CREATIVES IN ANIMATION NETWORK
- THE PERFECT MAN
- GAMES/ APPS.... An exciting new writing field!
- GILL DENNIS - TIPS FROM A MASTER
- TEACHING/ CONSULTANCY CREDITS
- BARZAKH - enjoying the Festival Circuit
- DAVID MAMET - ON TV WRITING
- SALT ON OUR SKIN
- MONKEY PUZZLE TREE
- BY MR FARQUHAR - stage play
- CANDLEMIST... the journey of my new book
- FRIED EGGS - London April 2017, Galway June 2016, Dublin August 2015
- FUR DOESN'T HURT
- All Thumbs/ Feb 29- March 12 2016