Saturday 11 February 2017

Writers and self doubt...

What is it about the creating that as soon as we should be jumping up and down and hollering about our latest creation, we start doubting if it's good enough?

I mean, maybe it could be better? Then, absolutely, it could be better! Then, Oh my god, it's useless, what am I doing, what if nobody reads it/ loves it/worship at my feet?
When the draft has been written, the writer starts self-doubting and the writer's loyal companion feels your pain - and the lack of walks while you've been working feverishly to finish this draft... 

I think it's part of the process. It's also why, when you finish a piece of work, we all know how necessary it is - if time allows - to put it into a drawer for six weeks and work on something else. You come back with fresher eyes and see things you'd missed. Or solutions to things that weren't quite sitting right in terms of story or character. 

But then you get ready to publish - and this is my first time doing this... You get an editor, then you re-edit, you find people willing to beta-read it, and you re-edit, eventually you get it formatted and you go through it again for hidden mistakes and on and on. My proof print copies of Dad's Red Dress are due next week and I'm dreading the typos I have missed! 

And secretly hoping there will be none! 

Last Weds I launched the e-book version on Kindle and now have some wonderful feedback from readers, which does something to assuage the self doubt while I work on the next book!

It's a beautiful story excellently told...one of the best novels I've read in bloody ages. - Patrick Chapman, author of Slow Clocks of Decay

What a great story, filled with complexity - original and believable, every character so well developed and totally three dimensional. I loved the intricacies of each one, and Jessie is just a delight, I was with her all the way! A beautiful relationship with her Dad, and her little sister! It's wonderful, just wonderful!!  - Caroline Farrell

And on Amazon: 

A sparkling and rewarding read. From the very first paragraph, I was sucked into the colourful and crazy world of young Jessie Keane. Her exotic family exudes warmth and togetherness. and the reader is left in no doubt that this is a loving and safe environment for her and her sister. However, there is a 'secret' within the family, that is clear from the title of the book, and that secret threatens to unsettle Jessie's life and bring the bullies back to taunt her - again. This serious subject matter is dealt with sensitively by L.J. Sedgwick, and even better than that, it is uproariously funny. I found myself re-reading sentences and entire paragraphs over again, in pure joy. I haven't enjoyed a novel as much in years. - Patricia Groves.

Dad's Red Dress is a story for our times, and one that can be enjoyed by all of the family. The characters are vivid, the story is fresh, and the dialogue is sparkling. I can heartily recommend it. - Anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment