What is it with time and writing?
No matter how long you think a piece of work will take, it inevitably takes longer and while this piece of work waits for you to finish, it will make snarling noises, poo on the carpet and shred your curtains. Just to see how you'll react. And it will drink lots of lukewarm coffee, ideally with chocolate and King crisps.
If you take a conservative guess and give yourself heaps of time, then nothing gets done; if you try to restrict yourself to the minimum time + coffee break you think it needs, it will run over into every other part of your life. And you will end up finishing something else instead.
Today chapters 14-19 got a going over. None of them are fully edited but they are all re-modelled so I know, at least, they work chronologically, are cut back where they ran over-long and most of the dull bits have been buried in the back garden under the weeds. All the other chapters took a gentle hammering too - I now have 25 chapters, not 23 - but it was satisfying work.
And I have found out that you don't leave line spaces between separate sections, you centre a 'hash'... This is in case the editor doesn't realise there is meant to be a line space because of the configuration of the print out.
Oh yes, it's coming together--just more slowly than I'd like!
- HOME PAGE
- MY WRITING CREDITS, TO DATE
- MY BOOKS: Dad's Red Dress and others
- Dad's Red Dress
- TEACHING/ CONSULTANCY CREDITS
- DAVID MAMET - ON TV WRITING
- BARZAKH - enjoying the Festival Circuit
- GILL DENNIS - TIPS FROM A MASTER
- WULFIE....the series
- PUNKY... International Award Winner!
- CREATIVES IN ANIMATION NETWORK
- ALL THUMBS: "Weird, creepy, hilarious..."
- THEATRE CREDITS
- GAMES/ APPS.... An exciting new writing field!
- FRIED EGGS; Dublin, Galway, London